Calling All Surrogates.....

Now comes the big question:

Is two better then one?

OR

Is one a star?

We have struggled with IVF and carried around this extra weight on our shoulder's to finally WIN at the reproductive game. The weight has been lifted and we are riding high.

So high that I don't even need to blog anymore.

It seems like an anxiety driven activity.

And when the anxiety is gone - I am just a really boring writer.
Without a compelling story to share.

So - our big struggle now is -
Do we stop at one or double down and go for two?

Our eggs are expired so we need to choose soon - like yesterday.

And

It's much easier to travel and do the IVF procedures before we have our child in hand.

The debate settles on two simple main points.

We can save much money by not doing it again. The money can go towards the financial
security of the only child. And I am a guy - so when you mention baby the first thought is always
$$$$$$$.

VS.

If we only have one child - Does she have only child syndrome?

It is really comfortable not having the weight of the world on our shoulder's. But, our child would get a lot out of playing outside with a sibling in the evening vs. playing with me at happy hour.

So the question then comes down to timing.

We need to go yesterday. And without a surrogate we are going NOWHERE. And fast.

Our window of opportunity is very narrow. It is:

June 28 - July 13th

Which means that we need to have a surrogate that has already been medically screened and is ready to start.

And of course -

She needs to be FREE and bring her own meds.

Plus, mature enough that we don't have to hold her hand. Because, hey, we won the last round so we will have a new born in our hands. They will be occupied.

Bilingual is preferred, but not required.

As you can see - I am not picky and have VERY low expectations. so we should have thousands of surrogates to choose from.

Lucky us.

Comments

Cyn said…
Although I have missed your blogging, I understand that it's easy to neglect.
As a parent who almost chose to only have 1, I personally think Paca will be fine as an only child. The bigger decision is whether her parents are ok with her being an only child (she isn't actually an only child, she just won't have a built in playmate-but that's ok and she'll be incredibly well rounded.)
As for the surro issue-it can be done that quickly and I'm sure if you decide to go that route it will work out. Unfortunately I will be on the East coast during your window of opportunity, I don't have any meds and I'm not entirely free, but I wouldn't need my hand held. 1 out of 4 isn't too bad, right?
Don't forget to come back and update about the decision though.
I know that originally you both really wanted more than 1 baby, but sometimes in life one finds that the priorities changed and what they once desperately needed/wanted, they could now be ok without. I's OK if you've decided to just love and adore 1 baby instead of 4. It's also ok if you're heart really wants more than 1. Tough choices.
Well if your not available and I don't have any money - where not a very good match.

Your meds are cheap - so that's not really an issue.

We are though, exploring all possibilities at this time, so it is a great option.

Our main issues are - can we afford it - before our eggs expire. Christy just loves it when I talk about her this way.

And can we find the time during a very busy summer period for me?

If we are going to do this we want the children to be born very close to each other.

Plus, you have the reality that it might take more then one try.

Oh, the joy of making choices.
Cyn said…
I'm sure it thrills her to be spoken of in such a loving and thoughtful manner!
I definitely get your dilema, mine is whether or not to even carry again.
There's so many sides to every choice and it's never easy.
Fortunately for you, Christy is great at making contacts and everyone loves her-hopefully that will help if you chose to try again.
She is very happy that I have taken ownership of our eggs. As opposed to putting all of the pressure on her and her eggs.
Cyn said…
Aww, you make me chuckle and I needed that today! (If only there was a way for me to magically get pregnant with someone else's embryos and be guaranteed that there would only be 1 and that I wouldn't actually gain 70lbs and turn into the mother/wife from hell for 1 year).
That scenario would make two other people (not in your family) happy as well.

Popular posts from this blog

I See Pregnant Women....And Small Children

Mr. Inspiring

Mr. Excited